Hello,

I just installed a new mail server on Debian 9 (Stretch) with the following setup:

- postfix

- courier-imap + courier-imap-ssl

- amavis + spamassassin

- courier-maildrop for delivery to Maildir folders

NOTE: I copied the Maildir folders' content from my older mailserver with an identical setup, one that has been running without problems for years, but that I now want to retire.

Everything went very smooth, and everything works (sending mail, receiving mail, authentication, certificates, IMAP folders showing in the mail client (Thunderbird)) -- except for the very last thing: received mail ends up in /var/spool/mail/[username] instead of the users' Maildir folders.

I haven't been able to solve this problem after several hours of searching and trying, so I turned to this mailing list.

Yes, I have specified the use of Maildir in main.cf:

   home_mailbox = Maildir/

But when a message is handed off to maildrop, it doesn't end up in the user's Maildir, but is added to the user file in /var/spool/mail. The log file doesn't show any warning or error message (final lines showing delivery of a test message, passed clean by amavis):

   Dec 28 21:54:08 mail postfix/local[2755]: 26F111E0377:
   to=<r...@linetec.nl>, relay=local, delay=0.01, delays=0/0.01/0/0.01,
   dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/maildrop)
   Dec 28 21:54:08 mail postfix/qmgr[2510]: 26F111E0377: removed

Is there a way to disable maildrop to see if that changes anything? Strange enough I have a hard time finding information about maildrop and maildroprc.

Also, there are no significant differences with the old server's postfix, courier and maildrop configuration files (the server I'm using right now). I also double-checked permissions, and there's no difference there either.

Does anyone have a clue? I could provide all configuration files (main.cf, master.cf), but I'm not sure which ones may be relevant, so I won't dump it all here right away.

Thanks already for any clues,

Richard