Hell John,

Package versions:

# apt list postfix
Listing... Done
postfix/oldstable,now 3.1.12-0+deb9u1 i386 [installed]

#apt list courier-imap
Listing... Done
courier-imap/oldstable,now 4.17.2+0.76.3-5+deb9u1 i386 [installed]

# apt list courier-imap-ssl
Listing... Done
courier-imap-ssl/oldstable,now 4.17.2+0.76.3-5+deb9u1 all [installed]

# apt list amavisd-new
Listing... Done
amavisd-new/oldstable,now 1:2.10.1-4 all [installed]

And yes, I want to have the mail for user richard delivered to /home/richard/Maildir , and for user mary to /home/mary/Maildir and so forth. It should NOT go into /var/spool/mail/[username]

And this is what I had working just fine for years on my old server with older versions of postfix, courier etcetera. In fact, I even literally copied the old configuration files to the new system to see if that would fix things, but it didn't.

But since you say that people can get emails, I'm not sure what the
real problem is.  Does the old system drop email into the Maildir as
well?

No, people cannot receive e-mail because of this (as the courier IMAP server uses Maildir folders). Postfix does send and receive e-mail, it's just that the mail doesn't end up in the right place. The old server still works fine, but the hardware is old (been running almost 8 years non-stop) and the Linux system requires a distribution upgrade as well.

Anyway, thanks for your response, best regards,

Richard