>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Rasker <ras...@linetec.nl> writes:

Richard> Hello,
Richard> I just installed a new mail server on Debian 9 (Stretch) with the
following setup:

Richard> - postfix

Richard> - courier-imap + courier-imap-ssl

Richard> - amavis + spamassassin

Richard> - courier-maildrop for delivery to Maildir folders

Richard> NOTE: I copied the Maildir folders' content from my older
Richard> mailserver with an identical setup, one that has been running
Richard> without problems for years, but that I now want to retire.

Richard> Everything went very smooth, and everything works (sending
Richard> mail, receiving mail, authentication, certificates, IMAP
Richard> folders showing in the mail client (Thunderbird)) -- except
Richard> for the very last thing: received mail ends up in
Richard> /var/spool/mail/[username] instead of the users' Maildir
Richard> folders.

Can you post the versions of the packages you installed, and the
output of postconf -n as well.  But also, please explain how your
setup is working before.  It sounds like you deliver email to the
user's home directory, and not to /var/spool/mail.

my personal setup is also Debian buster, but I have setup virtual
users and I deliver the email to
/var/mail/<domain>/<user>/Maildir/... and I also use Dovecot for my
IMAP setup, not courier, so I can't help there much.

But since you say that people can get emails, I'm not sure what the
real problem is.  Does the old system drop email into the Maildir as
well?

Richard> I haven't been able to solve this problem after several hours
Richard> of searching and trying, so I turned to this mailing list.

Richard> Yes, I have specified the use of Maildir in main.cf:

Richard>     home_mailbox = Maildir/

Richard> But when a message is handed off to maildrop, it doesn't end
Richard> up in the user's Maildir, but is added to the user file in
Richard> /var/spool/mail. The log file doesn't show any warning or
Richard> error message (final lines showing delivery of a test
Richard> message, passed clean by amavis):

Richard>     Dec 28 21:54:08 mail postfix/local[2755]: 26F111E0377:
to=<r...@linetec.nl>, relay=local, delay=
Richard>     0.01, delays=0/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to
command: /usr/bin/maildrop)
Richard>     Dec 28 21:54:08 mail postfix/qmgr[2510]: 26F111E0377: removed

Richard> Is there a way to disable maildrop to see if that changes
Richard> anything? Strange enough I have a hard time finding
Richard> information about maildrop and maildroprc.

Richard> Also, there are no significant differences with the old server's
postfix, courier and maildrop
Richard> configuration files (the server I'm using right now). I also
double-checked permissions, and
Richard> there's no difference there either.

Richard> Does anyone have a clue? I could provide all configuration files
(main.cf, master.cf), but I'm not
Richard> sure which ones may be relevant, so I won't dump it all here right
away.

Richard> Thanks already for any clues,

Richard> Richard