Op 29-12-19 om 16:29 schreef Wietse Venema:
Richard Rasker:
So here is a striking difference between the old and the new machine
that I don't understand. Is there a way to figure out which process is
actually dumping the mail in /var/spool/mail? Because if it is still
maildrop, it isn't logging anything as it should.
Postfix logs all deliveries. Here is an example that you posted earlier:

     Dec 28 21:54:08 mail postfix/local[2755]: 26F111E0377:
     to=<r...@linetec.nl>, relay=local, delay=0.01, delays=0/0.01/0/0.01,
     dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/maildrop)

Look for "status=sent" lines in your log. That will show whether
/usr/bin/maildrop is involved.

All logged mail events (sending, receiving) have "status=sent" in the second-last logged line in mail.log (the last line saying that it's removed from the queue).

But some progress happened, even though I don't really understand how. Up until two hours ago, mail *always* ended up in /var/spool/mail, even when I deleted "/usr/bin/maildrop" after mailbox_command = in main.cf, and the log entries also confirming that it was delivered to the maildir:

   ... status=sent (delivered to maildir)

(I can match these entries with messages in /var/spool/mail, not with any messages in any Maildir directory as I would expect).

Yet now, all of a sudden, new test messages show up in the correct Maildir folders. The one thing I did apart from changing the mailbox_command parameter back and forth was making the file /var/spool/mail/[username] read-only (chmod 400). This never resulted in any error messages BTW. (And yes, main.cf specified home_mailbox = Maildir/ all the time -- as already stated in my very first message here.)

So I have no idea what fixed at least the behaviour of postfix, and maildrop still refuses to work properly (i.e. it still sends mail to /var/spool/mail, and refuses to log anything), but at least I have a functional maildir system -- also after completely rebooting the box just to make sure. I'll try and sort out the maildrop conundrum later -- and as I never actually used its filtering capabilities in the first place, I might even leave it at this.

Thank you once again for your hints and support!

Best regards,

Richard