On 13 Oct 2020, at 12:03, Fred Morris <m3...@m3047.net> wrote:
> Notwithstanding, any "fully qualified domain name" (FQDN) can have email sent
> to it; typically only the FQDN immediately below the zone cut, and also the
> subject of SOA and NS records, has MX records.

Pretty sure it is prefect fine to have different MX records for subdomains.

example.com     MX      10      mail.example.com.
foo             MX      10      mail.sub1.example.com.
Bar             MX      10      mail.sub2.example.com.

Universities used to often have different MX servers for different
departments/machines, though now it seems they are using external services for
MX (maybe lucky, I checked five and all were using google or outlook for MX).

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but Tuesday Weld isn't a complete sentence."