On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 04:39:39PM +0200, Josh Good
<postfix.2016...@naleco.com> wrote:

Hello everybody.

I've been made aware of this communication recently received at some
site whose email is managed on-premises (i.e., not outsourced to any
big mailbox provider in the "cloud"):

The above could mean that starting 08/01/2021 their TLS support will
only support TLS 1.2 (and not any earlier TLS version) with their
inbound SMTP servers remaining configured in "opportunistic TLS" mode
--- or it could be read as if they will enable "smtpd_enforce_tls = yes"
(or "smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt") in their inbound SMTP servers
(I don't know if they are using Postfix, but you get what I mean).

If the case is the second one, is that a current trend? Has rfc2487
been obsoleted and mandatory TLS is now considered "industry standard"
in publicly-referenced SMTP server?

I've tried to contact Rhenus IT Services to inquire about this, but my
phone calls haven't gone through. So I thought I may as well ask this
list if this a single case or the "new normal"...