On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:37:46AM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:

> On 29.07.21 10:26, raf wrote:
>
> > On my little personal mail server, 75% of incoming
> > connections to port 25 are plaintext. Only 25% use
> > STARTTLS (by definition). Disabling STARTTLS would
> > be a disaster, and stop all incoming mail.
>
> you apparently mean:
>
> "Requiring STARTTLS would be a disaster, and stop 75% of incoming mail"

No, but I can see why you think I meant that. I didn't
express myself well there. Sorry about that. But the
sentence before the above quote was "Disabling
plaintext/STARTTLS SMTP would be courageous".

The conversation was about whether or not STARTTLS was
being phased out (presumably in favour of TLS-only
connections). The suggestion was partly based on the
fact that the original RFC for STARTTLS had been
obsoleted. I was pointing out that that RFC was only
obsoleted because there was a new RFC that replaced it.
STARTTLS (as used with ports 25 and 587) isn't going
away. It can't be replaced by TLS-only (as used with
port 465) connections for various reasons, not least of
which is that port 25 won't going away, and it will
never change to be TLS-only. Although, as Viktor
pointed out, it might eventually change to be plaintext
followed by mandatory STARTTLS. Apologies for my lack
of clarity.

Having said that, requiring STARTTLS right now might
well cause a loss of much incoming mail. It would in my
case. But presumably, Rhenus have analysed their
incoming email connections, and are satisfied that it
won't harm their business. :-)

cheers,
raf