I'm running a PB1400c/133 with OS 8.6, and for me, it's quite zippy. I don't
use Photoshop or anything like that, and I try to stick to the most ancient
programs I can live with. Generally, I find that using programs made at
about the same time as the computer (ie, 1997ish) will work best as far as
speed is concerned.

Internet is a little hard to use old software with, but perhaps try and
source an older version of Photoshop? I used to use Photoshop 4.0 on a
7200/120, which, whilst not brilliantly fast, was acceptable. (of course, I
don't do much with it, just a bit of playing. I have it, because it came
with the scanner :-)

I sometimes get the pause thing you described, not only with the Powerbook,
but also on a 5500/225 running 8.6. As far as I can tell, it is doing
something or other with the network connections. The solution that worked
for me (on the powerbook) was to use location manager to disable TCP/IP and
AppleTalk when I didn't need them. If it tries to connect, and there is
nothing to connect to, it does that pause thing. (When I had it on the 5500
it was just because I borrowed the Ethernet cable for something.) Also, if
you have any servers set to 'connect at start-up' the machine spends what
seems like an eternity looking for them.

Hope some of this helps :-)

John.