**********
> From: Cameron Kaiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: OS 8.6 and 1400c

> Myself, I preferred 8.1 on my 1400 when it was still a 117MHz 603.
----------
Hmm. I would do that, except I fear it won't run my current apps.
Downgrading the OS is diffficult.
----------
> When I
> upgraded it to a G3/333, because of the historical problems with 8.6 and
> 1400 G3 upgrades listed on the xlr8yourmac page, I just went straight to
> 9.1 and it's very nice. I have to have VM turned on, but it's still good.
----------
Right.

I guess I should do the upgrade if I'm going to keep the machine. I need the
64mb memory, too (it's currently at 48mb). Know where I can get it?

I'm not certain it's worth the investment, with new iBook prices coming
down.
----------
>> All the dynamic memory software is slow, too. Click a button and _wait_ for
>> something to happen.

> This sounds like a malfunction or something corrupted. Have you zapped PRAM or
> rebuilt the desktop? Alternatively, you might consider renaming your 8.6
> system folder so you have a backup, and 'clean install' a new OS 8.6 or 8.1
> onto that hard disk and see if the problem persists. If it does, I strongly
> suspect that software is not to blame.
I zap PRAM and rebuild the DT on a fairly regular basis, about once every 3
months or so. Doesn't seem to do much. Does it have a separate PRAM battery?

If it does, I bet it needs to be replaced.

Thanks,
Ken N.