Lately I seem to have developed a great talent for turning minor annoyances
into catastrophes:  apologies to the list for broadcasting so many appeals
for help.

This time, to recap very slightly, my recently acquired 5300ce had a couple
of annoying little quirks, so I booted with a disk tools floppy and did a
clean system reinstallation, 7.5.3 immediately followed by the 7.5.5
upgrade.  It was supposedly "successful" but on restart there was (and is)
no display at all, just a bright blank screen.  The startup chimes are
normal, and the computer responds to the keyboard (restarting, sleeping, and
shutting down predictably).  Booting with the floppy makes no difference;
when docked in SCSI disk mode to the desktop Mac the hard drive appears
normally (I then grabbed the opportunity to trash the entire old system
folder in hopes of elimating some bizarre conflict, but no soap), but there
is no display on the PB screen in that configuration either.

The manual says to take it apart and verify a whole series of connections,
but it seems gruesomely coincidental that a cable should have come loose
just at the moment that new software was installed.  So can someone suggest
a software fix before I start poking around inside?

Thanks most fulsome,
Victoria
--
Pacem in terris:  Viva la France!