Marlyse Comte said:

>First off, I realize that you are absolutely on the "other side" of our
>viewpoint and I will not try to convince you in any manner.
There are no two sides in this issue. I don't take "sides" anyway. I
think and reflect.

>Rick's posting made it clear why one window is - for us - way more
>appealing than having to deal constantly with 2 windows overlapping on
>the same screen.
It most certainly didn't make anything clear on what problems were solved
with his suggestion. See my reply to him. You say "overlapping" is the
problem? So getting one window out of sight, limiting the view to one
folder at a time is the solution?

> If it doesn't "demonstrate" to you or you don't have a
>problem with this, that's just as fine,
"this" being what? If "smart" folders is the solution, what is the problem?
One can usually forward the case by demonstrating *the problem* in a
clear language. Again, what is the problem?

>Also, if you check out what Smart Folders ARE, you'll
>find that you will find "all with the singer = XXX" and such stuff which
>is just as good as using a filter telling to put all mails coming from
>XXX into so-and-so folder.
That is all you can do with filters, is it? I both use them for and can
think of so much more.

>Thus Smart Folders are VERY much like using filters
"Smart" folders are not one fixed thing that always works the same way in
the different contexts of different applications . They are programmable
functions connected semantically to (usually) clickable objects in the
graphical interface, that's all.

You say "if I can assign these criteria to each folder instead within
*the filter window*, this will leave me with less clutter in *the filter
window*". Read that sentence again. Is it correct? If so, what did you
actually mean? It's incomprehensible to me. Perhaps you could detail it a
little?

>You might need to try a bit and try not to be resistant to the idea
>itself, just try and look at it - this doesn't mean you need to agree
>with it either, but it might help you to understand where we are coming
>from - and
It seems to me you're suggesting that something you call "smart folders",
unclear exactly what you mean by that, should replace not only the Recent
Mail Window, but the somehow the filter window as well. It's also even
more unclear what you think should be achieved by this or what issues you
have with how it's working now.
At the moment I'm not even sure I fully grasp what it is you're actually
suggesting. Could you please elaborate in numbered points so an outsider
can follow your thought here? What you say seem more wide in scope than
what Rick said.

>as usual, having a preference setting which enables a user to
>turn something on or off is always useful in divided camps.
No, in this case what you *seem to suggest* is a fundamental change in
the GUI and with how things work. If that perception is true simple
Preference changes won't cut it.