tass [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 11/21/03 at 1:40 AM stated:

>>>either specify, or turn off "Word Wrap" as default - for both incoming
>>>AND outgoing mail.
>>
>>Not possible, there is no such concept in RFC 822 e-mail; see Wayne
>>Brissette for details. :)
>
>I'm not sure what you mean "not possible".  Every email client I've ever
>used before has an option for settings a specific number of text characters
>before the program wraps down to the next line for new outbound
>messages.  And most of them had a selection that allowed the user
>to turn this function off entirely.
>It is unbearably annoying to type specific lines of text with proper
>formatting
>just to see it come out the other end with the sentences all broken up into
>smaller sections for no good reason at all.  And were not talking about
>endless strings of text without a "return" anywhere to be found.  Most lines
>I type are around 110 characters maximum.
>Not to mention it plays havoc with extra long links that the email client
>can't read as wrapped to the next line.  That really bites.  :-)

Since Ben thinks I'm the expert. ;-)

Here is the story on line "wraps". The Internet spec for mail (now RFC
2822 : <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html>), recommends 78 characters
per line.

Here is the direct quote:

2.1.1. Line Length Limits

   There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
   characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
   998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
   the CRLF.

   The 998 character limit is due to limitations in many implementations
   which send, receive, or store Internet Message Format messages that
   simply cannot handle more than 998 characters on a line. Receiving
   implementations would do well to handle an arbitrarily large number
   of characters in a line for robustness sake. However, there are so
   many implementations which (in compliance with the transport
   requirements of [RFC2821]) do not accept messages containing more
   than 1000 character including the CR and LF per line, it is important
   for implementations not to create such messages.

   The more conservative 78 character recommendation is to accommodate
   the many implementations of user interfaces that display these
   messages which may truncate, or disastrously wrap, the display of
   more than 78 characters per line, in spite of the fact that such
   implementations are non-conformant to the intent of this
   specification (and that of [RFC2821] if they actually cause
   information to be lost). Again, even though this limitation is put on
   messages, it is encumbant upon implementations which display messages

   to handle an arbitrarily large number of characters in a line
   (certainly at least up to the 998 character limit) for the sake of
   robustness.

Now, there is even more to the story than this. The relays that a message
go through (depending on the age of the equipment) may also put a hard
wrap at 78 characters. So, when you send your 110 character text it may
mean your text shows up on the other end looking very odd. There are ways
that can avoid this such as sending the message as a MIME formatted
message, but that means the message isn't pure text (which can be a good
thing at times, although personally I'm more of a purest and like my mail
as text).

Anyhow, the bottom line is PowerMail takes the safest route and
automatically places messages at 78 characters as it is sent out. It
seems like a pain, but really it is the best route when dealing with
email, since the lost of a single word can make a huge difference in how
things interpreted. A quote from Mark Twain comes to mind --

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a
large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Anyhow, I realize this isn't what you and some others want, but in the
overall scheme of things it really is the safest method today.

Wayne

--
All human rules are more or less idiotic.
- Mark Twain

Live DAT & Music Page: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/
Wayne's Music Calendar: http://ical.mac.com/wayneb/Music
PowerMail AppleScript Archives: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/powermail.html