On 10/27/06 at 5:37 PM, CTM info ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:

>Finally, we addressed the simultaneous aspects (having the ability to
>work on a large database, while being able simultaneously to search in
>other large databases) when we wrote FoxTrot Personal Search, which
>indexes *and previews message content of* any number of current and
>offline PowerMail database contents. The big advantage of using FoxTrot
>Personal Search for large archives over PowerMail is that you are
>accessing your archives in a Read Only fashion, which means you never
>run the risk of compromising a large amount of data, nor needing to
>rebuild it or so.

I'm a big proponent of the "all in one place so I don't have to think
because that's the computer's job," but I'm also willing to try
something new if the functionality I'm looking for is there, albeit in a
different shape than I'm expecting. In this case, it's the ability to
search all mail archives, and if FoxTrot handles that, then I'm ready to
try it.

In fairness, there are several immediate downsides. I'm now doing more
work to maintain my databases instead of the other way around; I'm using
two tools instead of one; and I'm having to switch environments instead
of just doing my work. FoxTrot also lacks the ability that PowerMail has
to say "Show me things in the Clients folder sent by "Bob Jones" after
July 10 2004 but before September 28 2004 and that contain the word
"plethora." This last one is a big, big difference and a big step
backward, IMO.

However, I'm willing to try. The missing trick then is that I've never
been able to understand how one would split one database into two (or
three or...), and how you move mail from one database to another. If I'm
to have a "Current_Daily" mail database, and an "Archive_Lists" database
and an "Archive_Clients" database, how do I move items from the live
database into the archives on a regular basis? Since you've made the
decision to keep your 2 gig limit, and that's a concern to some of us,
can you give a great clear rundown on *how* to live in the multiple-
database world?

And if I decide I don't like this path, how do I re-consolidate several
databases?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Abrahamson