[EMAIL PROTECTED] sez:

>Your email address has been "spoofed."  I have 2 domains that have NO
>outgoing email server at all and I get returns all the time.  I just
>ignore them.  There is absolutely nothing you can do about this.  Most
>email servers can catch a fraudulent email address and bounce it.

There is one thing that can be done, at least if the emails are
advertising something.

Once when my domain was spoofed and I had to deal with around 20,000
bouncebacks over the course of a week, I was able to use WhoIs to track
down the ISP of the pharmaceutical site being advertised. Don't go after
the spammer -- you can probably never find it; go after the advertiser.
They have to have some place for a person to contact in order to make
their money -- so hit them there.

Once I had the internet provider of the advertiser, I sent a nicely
worded cease-and-desist letter claiming if they did not shut down the
site, I would have to contact my lawyers to complete papers filing for
fraudulent use of my corporate identity. Yeah, I don't know if such a
thing exists, but pad it out with some legal mumbo jumbo and it sounded
good. :)

They shut down the advertiser's site. I still got bouncebacks for a
while, but I was much more satisfied. :)

--
Michael Lewis
Off Balance Productions