I DON'T use spamsieve.  I simply open my mailbox using webmail
(squirrelmail) and "select all" the messages.  Then I scroll down,
unchecking the ones I want to keep.  Then I click delete.  Then I
download.  This gives me visual control all the time and it is very fast
to do.  I can skim through 100 messages in about 2 minutes and pick out
the 1 or 2 that I want to read.  I have squirrel mail set up to move them
to a trash file first before they are gone forever, so if I "oops" all is
not lost.