On Friday 23 June 2006 19:53, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday 23 June 2006 20:48, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 June 2006 07:55, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > As you know, we're pondering what would be the best solution for the
> > > upcoming Edgy Eft release of Kubuntu. We have a pretty tight release
> > > schedule, with a feature freeze in 11 weeks from now. We are planning
> > > to implement a small powermanagement solution for this next release.
> > > We're definitely not out to duplicate efforts, we're looking for a
> > > temporary solution that does it well enough for the moment.
> >
> > So what's wrong with using kpowersave?  I've been using it with dapper
> > for months already.
>
> It's not integrated with the acpi infrastructure / scripts of Dapper,

No, it's not.  I found that out immediately when I subscribed here because of
my own problems with kpowersave, when it became obvious that nobody knew
about those scripts :-)  However, imo, a better solution would be to look at
how to make that integration - or whether there's any need for it - rather
than creating something else that doesn't integrate.  I'd prefer to ditch the
existing acpi scripts - they are almost completely non-kde aware and don't
appear to be any better integrated with gnome (one reason I came to
kpowersave was that the few KDE hooks in the acpi scripts didn't work for
me).

> that'd be the main reason. Then there is a dependancy on powersave which
> makes it a problem when you've two desktops installed.

I don't really see the problem.  So you install it and it installs powersaved.
Most people won't even notice.

> Third, it's not KISS  enough.

imo, if it just had a graphical tool to maintain some of the config settings
it would be practically perfect.  So, better to devote developer time to
building that - which would be greatly appreciated here, I expect, than to
building another temporary powersave solution (I have a horrible fear of
temporary solutions - they tend never to die).

> I've played with it for quite some time, but didn't get it to play nicely
> for all the stuff I want it to do, for example, it still screws up my
> suspend2 setup, while it should "Just Work".

No way!  suspend2 isn't even part of Ubuntu, why should kpowersave under
Ubuntu be expected to work with it?  If ubuntu is going to start shipping
suspend2 enabled kernels, I'll probably be wanting this too, because there's
lots to be desired with suspend2, but right now I think it's unfair to
criticize kpowersave for not working in ubuntu with non-ubuntu kernel mods.
--
derek