(readded lost CC's)

On Thu 22. Jun - 12:55:03, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 22 June 2006 11:01, Holger Macht wrote:
> [... long emails that all make a lot of sense]
> > So what are the next steps...
> >
> > I think we should give others some time to also comment on all that. And
> > or course, it would be important to know what the kpowersave maintainer
> > (Danny? ;-) thinks of all this. Then we should meet at kde-hardware-devel
> > to discuss a solid - powerlibs integration. I already started with the
> > powersave daemon redesign in regard to CPUFreq and from my point of view,
> > I will be available to do more the from now on.
>
> First, I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm sebas, working on the guidance
> system administration tools in Kubuntu.
>
> As you know, we're pondering what would be the best solution for the upcoming
> Edgy Eft release of Kubuntu. We have a pretty tight release schedule, with a
> feature freeze in 11 weeks from now. We are planning to implement a small
> powermanagement solution for this next release.
>
> I am very pleased with your plans though, even if it might not look like that
> in the first place. The small solution we're writing will be replaced with
> your proposal, but at the moment we're a bit hesitant because it seems to be
> the beginning of a bigger overhaul. We'll keep track of your work though, and
> we'll try to help out and share work whereever possible. The reason why we're
> going for an own solution is that we think we can have something that does
> the work pretty soon. However, we're already thinking of getting the code
> integrated in HAL and other pieces where applicable. We're definitely not out
> to duplicate efforts, we're looking for a temporary solution that does it
> well enough for the moment.

I really don't like seeing you creating another temporary solution. My
plans might sound big and complicated, but they can be seperated into
verious different pieces. So taking the kpowersave approach, because it
should be independent, it is completely seperated from the rest of the
plans. From kpowersave's point of view, it's just to patch out the
powersave dependencies and addin a few other things. So why not putting
your efforts into kpowersave _now_, so that it provides the basic
functionality, which will still be definitely more than your new
application may provide. I think it's really doable within the next weeks.

> Thanks for all you efforts, I'm really happy that we can work out something
> together. I've already subscribed to the powersave-devel list, so we'll stay
> in touch.

Regards,
        Holger