On Wednesday 28 June 2006 04:26, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> On Saturday 24 June 2006 23:27, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > On Friday 23 June 2006 19:53, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> The problem is that when I hook the hibernate script into the suspend2
> scriptlet, I'm not able to use the kdialog parts of the suspend script, it
> seems to not be able to connect the dcop calls that are made.
> Switching the kdialog feature of, it would ignore some of the settings I
> made in the hibernate script and I have really no idea why. It definitely
> *does* run the hibernate script, but the environment seems to be messed up
> in some way that it cripples the hibernate script. The result is a system
> which is barely usable post-resume.

I still think it's premature to worry about that when Ubuntu doesn't ship with
suspend2.  When it does, I'll definitely get into trying to figure this out
myself, but I have been happily _not_ compiling my own kernels since I
switched to Ubuntu.

> > > that'd be the main reason. Then there is a dependancy on powersave
> > > which makes it a problem when you've two desktops installed.
> >
> > I don't really see the problem.  So you install it and it installs
> > powersaved. Most people won't even notice.
>
> powersaved conflicts with powernowd, which is a dependancy of
> gnome-power-manager. That's another problem, it might be solved at another
> level, but it certainly adds up.

That does seem serious, but Holger's already talking about losing the
dependency on powersaved, so that should be OK.

> > > Third, it's not KISS  enough.
> >
> > imo, if it just had a graphical tool to maintain some of the config
> > settings it would be practically perfect.  So, better to devote developer
> > time to building that - which would be greatly appreciated here, I
> > expect, than to building another temporary powersave solution (I have a
> > horrible fear of temporary solutions - they tend never to die).
>
> As I said, it's not just the frontend.

Except for the other two things we're discussing, I think it _is_ just the
frontend (and I really suspect suspend2 may be the same).

> Moreover, we're planning to move
> over part of the functionality into HAL in the long run (cpu frequency
> scaling, for example).

I don't think that conflicts with getting the configuration into the
kpowersave frontend.

> We're discussing using suspend2 for the next Ubuntu release, and we
> definitely want the user to be able to use suspend2 -- at least I do. I'm
> not criticizing kpowersave, I just want a tool that works well in my setup.

But if you dedicate time to building a "temporary" solution, it's time that
could have been put into getting the same results out of kpowersave.  It's
OSS development and everybody's free to build what they want, but you seem to
like _part_ of kpowersave so I just really hope we can convince you to work
on kpowersave rather than another solution.
--
derek