Howdy,
  I don't agree with the not mature evaluation, but forums are too much
trouble to participate in for me.  On an email list, I see a message and
respond if I have a comment.  Web Forums these days generally use
cookies and javascript.  I don't allow either on my main computers for
security reasons.  So, I have to go find another machine, enable
javascript and cookies for the site, login after I look up another
password and then read and post.  I have to be careful to never visit
another web site during this time and then logout and disable javascript
and delete the cookies.  It is a lot more work, so I generally ignore
them and spend that time on other projects.  I do realize that they do
have some advantages, such as the way they tend to categorize
information.
To those that enjoy them, good luck,
Ralph