        Primetime on America's NewsChannel MSNBC

THE WEEKEND PRIMETIME NEWSLETTER
FOR MSNBC,  AMERICA'S NEWSCHANNEL
Friday May 17th- Sunday May 19th, 2002

***HIGHLIGHTS***

        This weekend we have a special program premiering called "MSNBC INVESTIGATES:
DANGEROUS CROSSINGS."  Our producer, David Roderick, spent three days ("though it
could easily have taken three hours") traveling through the desert with men known as
"coyotes" who are trying to smuggle migrants across the border from Mexico into the
United States while avoiding the watchful eye of the U.S. border patrol.  The trip,
made thousands of times each year by illegals and their guides, can be treacherous.
It is quite common for people to die in the blistering desert heat as they try to make
it to America.  The journey for David was an eye-opening and often scary experience.
Here's an excerpt from his travel journal:

        JECUME
        On the outskirts of Jecume the truck stopped and let Ismael and the migrants
out.  Pepper and crew would head into town to pick up supplies.  Jecume is one of the
few remote towns were drugs are transported across the border.  It is a dangerous
place, as we were about to find out.  Enroute to the town I used a satellite phone to
contact our associate producer Christina who would meet us in town.  When we arrived
Victor Clark (a contact of mine), Ramon (his bodyguard), Victor (our Coyote friend)
and Christina were there to greet us and for a moment I let my guard down-- the wrong
thing to do!  Alejandro and I bought two gallons of cold water in the neighborhood
grocery store and poured the entire contents over our heads to cool down.  That water
tasted as good as champagne.  Pepper asked permission for us to shoot some scenes in
the store and the shopkeeper agreed.  We had just begun shooting when the door swung
open and an angry man began yelling at us to stop shooting... Within seconds the glass
door swung open and smashed, sending glass flying all over the sidewalk...he quickly
stormed off and returned minutes later wielding a pistol...  I ducked through an open
door and entered someone's house.  I tried frantically to call the police, and Ben (a
colleague)-- as if he could do anything from Arizona.  I could hear Ty's voice (my
executive producer) "If you get in trouble, call in a chopper and get the hell out of
there."   (Read more from David's journal at: http://www.msnbc.com/news/753280.asp)

        Find out how David and his crew get out of this mess and what this whole
operation tells us about the security of America's southern border.  "DANGEROUS
CROSSINGS" premieres Sunday at 10pm ET.

FRIDAY, MAY 17
6PM
THE ABRAMS REPORT
Investigating the pre 9/11 warnings...Republicans claim it's purely a political move
by the Democrats-but are they just doing their job?  Hear from a terrorism expert and
a former FBI agent when MSNBC's Dan Abrams takes you inside the legal issues.

7PM
HARDBALL WITH CHRIS MATTHEWS
Reverend vs. Reverend...Al Sharpton & Jerry Falwell face off over the pre 9/11
warnings tonight when they play Hardball with Chris Matthews.

8PM ET
THE NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS

9PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: LOCKUP: THE CRIMINAL MIND
What should we do with people who have served their time, but who clearly remain a
danger to themselves and others?  In California, the answer is often: Atascadero State
Hospital.  It has become a more-or-less permanent home to more than a thousand of the
most violent murderers, child molesters and rapists-- men who have been forcibly
committed for psychiatric treatment.  They have agreed to let cameras in the facility,
for the very first time, to let us have a glimpse of what it is like to live and work
in what could easily be one of the most dangerous places on earth.

10PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: DEADLY BEHAVIOR
They're all the rage on television these days: criminal profilers.  In this program,
we go along with the real thing (who, by the way, hate the term "profiler") as they
follow some really twisted clues.  We don't want to give away the mystery here, but if
you like the Hollywood version of these shows, you'll love the real thing.

11PM ET
THE NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS

12AM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: RAMPAGE KILLERS
Just hours before he commits murder a killer sets up a videocamera to record why he's
about to take out his anger on people he doesn't even know.  He then goes to a nearby
McDonald's where a woman is buying a Happy Meal for her kid and opens fire, killing
three people, including himself.  Many more are injured.  We always ask the same
question when we hear someone has gone on a rampage killing: "why?"  Well, this man,
in a chilling recording, tells all.

SATURDAY, MAY 18
8PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: CRIMES CAUGHT ON TAPE
>From neighborhood hoaxes to convenience store hold-ups, we've got it all captured on
>camera.  We even have the story of a woman who recognizes her own son in a news
>broadcast of a surveillance tape.

9PM
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: CAPTURED: EYEWITNESS TO MURDER
This is one of the most horrifying crimes we've investigated, and the entire act plays
out on tape.  In this one-hour documentary we detail the case of a night club owner,
who is relaxing at home with some friends in the early morning, after a night out.
With no warning, two masked gunmen burst into the home and beat and torture the three
people they find inside.  All of them are executed at point blank range.  The entire
crime is caught by the security camera that has recently been installed in the home.
It eventually helps to identify the killers and put them behind bars.  It is likely
the closest many viewers will get to seeing a real murder take place and it is
horrifying.  However, it illustrates what prosecutors say is an increasing trend.  We
warn you in advance, the contents of this program are disturbing.

10PM ET
***MSNBC INVESTIGATES: THIEVES CAUGHT ON TAPE***                PREMIERE
Let's face it-- these days Big Brother is everywhere, watching our every move.  There
are cameras in public places not only to make sure we are safe, but to catch the bad
guys when they strike.  So why exactly would someone try to pull off a crime knowing
cameras have to be watching???  Check out this latest premiere in our "Captured on
Camera" series.

11PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: CAPTURED: MURDER FOR HIRE
This is one of our favorites (and yours).  We show you what could easily be auditions
for the amateur hour in the murder-for-hire business.  You'll meet people who defy all
common sense to find someone to do a job they can't bring themselves to do.  What is
captured on camera may seem unbelievably foolish, but there is no doubt, these
attempts to hire hitmen are real, and the officers investigating each case take them
very seriously.

SUNDAY MAY 19
8-10PM ET
***NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER: LAND OF THE ANACONDA***        PREMIERE
The anaconda, the world's largest snake, lurks in the mud of the Venezuelan wetlands
where National Geographic grantee Dr. Jesús Rivas and fellow biologist Renee Owens are
on a mission to tag and study these giants.

10PM ET
***MSNBC INVESTIGATES: DANGEROUS CROSSINGS***   PREMIERE
How hard is it to cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally? In the aftermath of Sept.
11th, it's something Americans are worried about more than ever. Watch as our cameras
take you on a trip with men known as "coyotes," as they try to smuggle people into the
U.S. past the watchful eyes of the U.S. border patrol.

**For the latest in the schedule go to: www.prime.msnbc.com

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received this MSNBC Primetime
Announcements
newsletter because you subscribed to it or, someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=22