Jim,
We have exactly the same system at work and we looked around for 18 months
trying ALL the possibilities and the one which came out top and we installed
was Doubletake. I looked at about 10 products for evaluation and none of
them even came close.

Our requirement was to be able to literally pull the plug on the main server
and have the backup server take over control within 5 seconds. As a matter
of course we do this every month to make sure the system performs OK. The
secondary backup server immediately assumes an additional IP address which
was held by the Primary (now dead) server and continues the live system.
There is inbuilt additional support for SQL server which we also use.

Most of the systems out there will cater for SQL server but only in as much
as providing basic replication which is available as standard in SQL as it
is. We run lots of VFP DBC/DBF files and none of the other systems could
cater for the system dying whilst DBF's were open. The worse case scenario
we have had was to have to do a reindex which we do as a matter of course
once a month anyway.

In addition Doubletake can do times snapshots to disk/tape and we have a
tertiary server doing this from the secondary server every 30 minutes.

Don't just take what manufacturers say for granted. Ask to see a LIVE
demonstration with your files. That usually sorts out the men from the boys!

Doubletake isn't exactly cheap but for a 24/7 system its unbeatable in my
experience.

Dave Crozier