Hi Kurt

>>Also, I've done the Visual type screen design - where I drop one or more DBF's into the Env. on a Form - which allows me to easily do >>Drag&Drop to layout the screen design. I suspect that with an SQL backend - you can't do that at all...

I developed two forms: one that converts my dbf's, indexes and constraints directly into MS SQL tables, and the other one just passes the data from the dbf tables to the new SQL tables. I do not use the VFP upsizing wizard, because I am that kind of geek who likes to have absolute control on things.

What I usually do is create the tables and their indexes in VFP and then, when I need to create data entry forms, I use those tables in the DE to just drag-drop the fields. Afterwards I simply remove the tables from the DE and do the programming using MS SQL server as a back end. Using the above forms, I recreate the tables in the SQL backend, by just clicking on a button.

I use sql pass through or cursor adapters in the same app, as the need arises. When I use cursor adapters I just rename the tables loaded in the DE with the name of the CA cursor or the cursor obtained using SPT, as for instance the customers table is renamed in the DE as curCustomers. Then I drag the fields and finally I remove the tables from the DE.

In the form, I create the cursor adapter as curCustomers, and it is all very straight forward.

In addition, I developed special classes to create cursor adapters, retrieve the newly created PK from the SQL tables to be used as a foreign key, save using SPT, etc. I even developed a routine that enables you to use the NAME clause of the INSERT command in VFP to update a SQL table. I uploaded this routine to Ed's download area. It parses the "insert into mysqltable from name oSQLTable" and creates a construct that can be used as a parameter to the SQLExec function.

I have been programming in DBase languages since 1987 and am too old now to spend years learning .NET and achieve the speed and proficiency I have in VFP. Most of my clients need desktop apps and whenever there is need for web access, I subcontract that part of the work with specialized programmers. It works very well, because the client remains with me, no fear to loose it to my associate, and I am able to provide a comprehensive service to my client.

VFP may be dead for new young programmers, but for us oldies it is still alive and kicking. Someone spoke in another post of the fact that the client needs a solution to his needs and doesn't give a s... as to what language the app is programmed in. As a matter of fact, most of them haven't got a clue on what the heck a computer language is anyways. At least the kind of people I deal with in this country (small to medium sized businesses). Of course, when you are talking big corps, that's something else. But I make my living from the small companies, so .....

My advice to you is to consider the client's needs and try to provide the best solution you can with the tools you know best. If the requirements involve knowledge you don't have, it is better to pay for the expertise, as long as you control the whole picture.

My two "pesos" (cheaper than US dollars :-) )

Rafael Copquin