Rick Schummer wrote:
> John,
>
>>> I need something which will advise me on how to set a machine from scratch
>>> for basic email and
> word processing use...<<
>
> This is absolutely the primary roadblock for large scale adoption of Linux in
> my opinion. Installing
> and configuring the operating system needs to be easy before the average user
> is going to change
> their machine. I have talked to many really smart and technical people over
> the last five years who
> have struggled and even failed to get Linux installed. I watched at Whilfest
> one night when there
> was the Linux install party, and the experts struggled and even failed on
> several boxes. Back in the
> day (less than five years ago) the average distro was too complicated, and it
> was intentional. Yes,

But four years ago is a long, long time. Heck, you could even produce a
  whole new operating system in that amount of time. Oh, wait, cancel
that last remark.

You have to remember that at installfest, people were bringing machines
that (1) were really old or off the beaten track in one way or another,
or (2) machines that they'd already had problems with.

I'd argue that we could have a similar 'virusfest' in which even the
experts would say, "nope, can't uninstall norton on this one - you're
going to have to reformat." In fact, isn't that the battle cry of many
Windows admins when a machine gets hosed even now? Much less four years ago?

> I believe the Linux distro folks wanted it to be hard so it would not have a
> massive adoption. Kind
> of like a secret club kids create with only their friends.

Totally agree. And even now, many mailing lists have their share of
arrogant snots. We in the Fox world who grew up on FoxForum are rather
spoiled. <s>

> It is getting much better today. I watched as my son set me up a Linux box
> and it was really not all
> that difficult. If the distros get easier to install then it will be adopted
> faster. The new problem
> is actually a byproduct of the freedom we all hear with respect to Linux.
> There are too many choices
> which is confusing to the marketplace in my opinion.

Yes, I go into a grocery store, or a car dealership, or a shoe store, or
a toy store, and I am really pissed off at all the choices. If there was
only one brand of soda, and one make of car, and one type of shoe, it
would make my life so much better, so much less confusing. I wouldn't
have to suffer through all the needless advertising I see everywhere,
and prices would be so much lower because companies wouldn't have to
spend money on marketing.

You know, the same thing goes for religion. If there was just one
religion that we all had to practice, then think of all of the needless
killing and problems that could be averted.... This concept of having a
choice is definitely bad.

Whil