On May 26, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:

> Why don't 80% of new office building fail?

That analogy being apt: How many IT projects would be done at all if
one had to go through the rigors associated with constructing a
structure? Architectural renderings, engineering specifications,
adherence to building codes, periodic inspections by inspection
professionals (any one of whom can stop a project for non-
conformity), written and formally-approved change orders and all of
the rest.

I am not saying that would be a bad thing, but the costs would
skyrocket.

I'm curious. What effect do you think such a system would have?

  - Cost increase by what percent? 500% at least is my guess.

  - Would failure rates fall? (or just be government-contractor-like
spectacular failures?)

Ken