I used to rely on rotating external HDD units, until I ended up with 14
active units, and 14 off-site units, for all the Servers and PCs!  It got to
be a real grind weekly having to rotate all those units...  That is when I
brought back a tape back solution, but the old DLT-IV drives I had just were
not going to hack it any longer due to the amount of bytes I had to back up
over Ultra-Wide SCSI (40mps max, but the DLT-IV throughput is slower than
that), and the number of tapes I would have to use to store all the data.

That is when I got the LTO3 unit, which can store 400Gb natively, up to 800
compressed (in theory, it is actually closer to 650Gb for me on average).
LTO4 doubles the capacity yet again, but costs a lot more moolah.  I could
have used a 320mps SCSI card on a 64 bit PCI-X (not PCI-Express) slot, but I
opted for the far less expensive 160mps Adaptec 64 bit PCI SCSI card, which
is still 4 time faster than the 32 bit PCI Ultra-Wide SCSI, and it is more
than fast enough for my needs (I can always upgrade the PCI-6d card and
double my backup rate).  I use 4 LTO3 tape media cartridges each week, for a
total of 1.8Tb+ of file content, with room to spare for growth.  It takes me
2.25 days to fill the 4 cartridges, only because I am not always awake at
04:00 to swap in another tape when one of the 4 separate jobs are done.
With having 2 sets of media off site, one in the bank safe, I really rest
easy now.  I use both software and hardware compression during backups, and
I am feeding the LTO3 with data from the external Seagate FreeAgent eSATA II
(3gps) HDD units.  The LTO3 is the choke point, even if I kicked it up to
320mps SCSI it would still be the choke point.  Those eSATA II connections
are wicked FAST!  Did I mention the Seagate 5 year warranty?  eSATA II
cables are not the same as SATA cables, see www.satacables.com for a fair
price.

The cool thing about SyncBack is I am not using a proprietary catalog
storage technique.  The files are stored on their target in native format.
So recovering a file is a snap.  As for the LTO3 unit, I use BackupAssist,
which is a graphical shell that wraps around native NTBackup.  Thus to do a
restore I do not need anything other than native Windows NTBackup on any
machine I can put an LTO3 drive into.  No fuss, no muss.  The best $250 (or
so) I ever spent on a tape backup solution.  Why not use NTBackup natively
for my LTO3 drive?  PITA, BackupAssist makes it real easy to see what I am
doing, and when.  They did a great job on that app (Australian? New
Zealand?).

Ciao!

Gil