Resistance to change.
Not invented here
Lack of exposure.

Heres the plan.
Ask yourself if it would work.

The crude light futures are bid up and down daily and the closing price for
each day is used as a basis for the gasoline price that is changed daily and
called the "rack price"
This daily closing price is very volatile because speculators such as myself
and others bid it up in an attempt to make a profit, but at the same time
the daily closing price will go down when it comes time for the futures
contract to expire because these speculators do not want to take delivery of
the oil, so when it comes to that time, the futures contract will go down in
price until a person that is willing to take delivery of the oil is willing
to pay that price.

So the solution is to do away with the daily fuel price changes and tie the
price of gasoline to the final closing price of the oil contract, which
would mean the price of gasoline would change once per month instead of
daily and the price would be more accurately tied to the actual price of oil
as we use the final settlement price, not the daily price that is bid up and
down by speculators.

Trust me, it will work.
I worked with fuel jobber accounting systems for about 10 years and here is
how your gasoline price is figured.
1. Daily closing price of crude light oil future is used as a basis for the
gasoline rack price
2. Gasoline "Rack Price" is issued about 4pm
3. Federal, State, LUST and other taxes are added to the price of gasoline
4. gas station adds their few cents mark-up