Hi Tim,

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 11:42 -0400, Webmaster for Lungstrom.com wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 10:02 AM, drew wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 09:29 -0400, Webmaster for Lungstrom.com wrote:
> >> I have been real sick since Friday, so I just started reading some of
> >> the emails.
> >>

> >> Here is the directory files as I have it now on my computer.  All the
> >> dictionary files have .dic dates included in their file names.
> >> You will also have to do a copy/paste from the updated dictionary list
> >> on the extensions.html file.  That has all the dictionaries linked with
> >> their dates.
> >> http://libreoffice-na.us/add-on-dictionaries-large-list.zip
> >>
> >> I did not remove the old, non-dated, versions of these dictionary files
> >> from the web site server yet.
> > @Tim - lest I forget to say this - You Rock!
> >

> The reason I have so many files on the server was the fact I never
> removed the older files.
>
> 3.3.1, 3.3.2, and 3.3.3 install files are all on the server.

OK

<snip>

>   I want to keep as many
> of the versions as I can archived, for now, offline.  But having them
> archived online might be a good thing for people as well, since I know
> someone wanted them and I could not remember how to find the LO site's
> archived section for older versions.

I doubt anyone would mind if you do so - but you should know also that
on the CMS server all these versions are also available, from 3.3.1 -
3.4.x, at the moment. They are not directly available to web clients but
are available for disc production purposes.

> I think Florian will want the 3 missing 4.1 version French dictionaries
> on their server, so I sent them to you and those emails on that message
> "thread".

I can't speak for Florian but I he is not the real go to guy on this.

> I also found a few other .oxt dictionaries not listed on the
> OOo site.  Those would be nice to include in the dictionary list.

Alright - well, would need to check the license on those files but
otherwise it sounds good - let's review them.

> The extensions.html file has all the dictionaries, as far as I remember,
> linked to the .oxt files that have their .dic dates included so the
> users can know who up-to-date those word lists are.  It is nice when you
> find ones that have version numbers being updated, but, as far as I
> know, some have been updated in the past without any version number
> shown in the filename.
>
> Also the info you asked about what we do with all these dictionaries,
> extensions, and templates, we/I have needing a place for sharing with
> other projects is important.  There are so many extensions that have not
> been added to our NA list that I have in my offline archive[s].  These
> need to be placed on a LibreOffice server for everyone to be able to
> download and/or use in their own CMS page[s].  LO users should not have
> to go to flaky OOo pages to get these .oxt files.

I fully agree that it is high time to _stop_ referring LibreOffice users
to OpenOffice.org resources! Whether is documentation, wiki pages,
extensions, templates or user support.

As for using the libo-na.us server for distributing some extensions,
maybe - I'm not sure how that would work however and it would need to be
talked through. There is a definite problem facing LibreOffice users
with regards to what extensions TDF is willing to make available and I
would love to host a site that makes those TDF will not host available -
HOWEVER - I assume that will need to be unambiguously _not_ directly
associated with TDF. The LO-Portal name might work for that, but
libreOffice-na.us would likely be a big problem.

> If need be, I would create several extension pages for use on a LO
> server.  It will not be one that you can search like OOo's site, but it
> could be organized in function groups.  Dictionaries in one group,
> Writer aids in another. Special functions in a third, etc., etc..  We
> can decide how the extensions are grouped.  Then you could either have
> one large page with "shortcut" anchors to skip down to the group you
> need, or make the groups different pages.

Thanks for the offer - the LibO extension site is fully under
development already.
http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org/libreoffice-extensions

I'm sure folks there would be interested in your help.

hmm - actually I'm just assuming dictionaries will go on this site -
don't actually know - will need to ask the people making the decisions
about this service.

> I have over 80[?] extensions with almost 200 dictionaries, if you do not
> count both the original and updates files.  I know there are more .oxt
> extensions available, but I downloaded the ones that I might be
> interested in using.  For the total number of extensions that are out
> there on the OOo site, and other places, I "feel" there may be 150 to
> 200 of them, with many not needed anymore or not working with the newer
> versions of OOo or LO.
>
> So, there are a lot of things needed to be though about for dictionaries
> and other extensions.

Yup - agreed.

<snip>,

//drew