I think we'd all love to see Prototype be more popular, but does it
really matter?  It's here, it works, it works well and it's a great
base on which to build complex apps.  If the developers decide to not
make any more upgrades we'd still have a great tool.  I think of it as
a house foundation and what I build on top is the house itself.  If
the guy that laid the foundation decided to retire, it doesn't affect
my house.  I can always add on to my foundation or find someone that
can.

I still can't understand why tools like Prototype are free.  I'd pay a
yearly fee for it.  If enough of us did, then perhaps the author(s)
could make a living from it.  But, seeing as they aren't, we can't
expect them to upgrade Prototype endlessly for no money.  We all need
to earn a living.

Having said all that, what I'd like to see in Prototype is A-just
keeping it up to date with new browser technology, and B-a way to make
it play better with others.  I know jQuery has a no-conflict mode, but
it would be nice if we didn't conflict in the first place.  Maybe a
way to assign $ to some other name.

To make Prototype more popular I think that we can't expect the
Prototype developers to do all the work.  There's a lot of great stuff
out there built on Prototype but what I find frustrating is the time
it takes it make it look/feel like the rest of my stuff.  That's not a
Prototype issue. I think if all that code were better organized and
managed it would move Prototype forward.  For instance: if we had
volunteers who could project manage, do good design/CSS work, design a
framework that allowed 'widgets' to share a common base/communicate,
program, establish standards and so on, then with some effort we could
have a great tool with great add-ons.  Imagine how simple things would
be if all Prototype widgets shared the same CSS classes and usage.

I'm willing to be a part of such a group.