On 16.01.2013 09:26, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Meanwhile I'm also trying to see whether we can still extract some
> data from the broken VM image. It does show traces of the wiki
> file contents, so the data still exists on the image in some
> form. Noah already tried extundelete with no success. I'm going
> to give some of the other tools a try as well, e.g. ext4magic
> or PhotoRec.

Update on the last bit:

The tools were not able to recover the deleted files in the file
structure, but were able to reconstruct a large number of files
from the unallocated parts of the disk.

Given that moin saves all revisions of a wiki page in the file
system, with the file name being the only indication of the
revision, those files may be useful in important cases, but there's
no way to use them as input for automatic processing.

The tools did also recover a number of log files that had been
deleted, which allowed for a better analysis of what was used
for the attack.

Unfortunately, the logs for the important Dec 28
appear to have been overwritten by some other files, so I can't
tell for sure whether the same attack as for the Debian wiki
was used, but it is highly likely:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWiki/SecurityIncident2012

The moinexec.py action plugin mentioned there was used on our
wiki VM as well.

In the course of this, the IP address from which the "rm -r *"
originated turned up and we've contacted the ISP for more
information.

Several others played with the URLs as well, but only did
harmless stuff. The attacker must have been in the know
about the fact that wiki.python.org was also running the Jython
wiki, since the availability via python.org and jython.org
were checked after the rm run.

Reimar is working on the conversion of the archive.org page
dump to wiki format. I'll try to transmogrify the first
Yahoo dump I ran into a suitable format for him to use
tomorrow (the later runs returned fewer pages, which indicates
that these caches can really only be used for short periods
of time).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 17 2013)
2013-01-22: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                  5 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/