On 11/26/05, Kelvin Lawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Right now, I'm working on what I can do to help sponsor PyKaraoke and
>>CDG Tools in one of the Fedora Core repositories. That means creating an
>>RPM and sponsoring the package. I'm working on both. That said, I'm not
>>exactly an expert on RPM packaging, but am willing to learn more.
>
> I'm hoping myself to to that for SuSE (9.3, and probably some other
> releases)...

Fabulous, music to my ears :-) As I was saying to Chris, I tend to only
install software from my distro's package manager, so I've always felt
packaging would help PyKaraoke reach a wider audience.

Definitely. Red Hat and derivatives are still the prevalent distros.

I'm planning to create packages for Debian/Ubuntu and Gentoo, because I
have those installed here. Any help folk can give me for other distros
would be much appreciated. It's probably worth waiting for me to get the
first package done, as currently there is no install procedure for
PyKaraoke at all. It's unzip anywhere and go. I guess I'll need to
create an install script or something to put everything in the
appropriate places. I'll let you both know when I've figured that stuff out.

It *should* [knocks wood] be a matter of just copying the programs themselves (all the .py files) to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, and dropping the modules used into /usr/lib/python2.[0-4]/site-packages ... but it could still get interesting anyway :)

--
Looking for something to read? Visit http://willfe.com/ ... it's easy, safe, and fun for the whole family!