On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 02:54:56PM -0700, William Ferrell wrote:
>    Definitely. Red Hat and derivatives are still the prevalent distros.

For sufficiently large values of "derivatives".

>    It  *should*  [knocks  wood]  be a matter of just copying the programs
>    themselves  (all  the  .py  files)  to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, and
>    dropping  the  modules  used into /usr/lib/python2.[0-4]/site-packages
>    ... but it could still get interesting anyway :)

The number one issue is making sure the location in the shebang line
points to the real interpreter; if you get that right, you can take the
.py extensions off the user binaries and they'll still run.  Whether
you should put them in a directory that's on the path is a maintainer
call.

If they *call* things that are not on the path, special measures will
need to be taken.

Number two is picking a location for everything else that won't
conflict.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "Space is called 'space' because there's so much *space* there."
                - John Walker, of Fourmilab, on Trek's End