Don't forget FLAC and MPEG (being able to rip CD-V's would be cool,
too, and, for that matter, the dedicated could rip LaserDiscs with a
capture card.

I think MPEG playback is done elsewhere (I could be wrong and I
haven't checked) but I believe it's already supported. FLAC is just a
matter of adding the correct library.

Yep, MPEG is already supported by the pympg module.

Is the proper approach here to locate the already-extant project which
is closest to what we need, and submit patches?

Probably. That's Kelvin's call though :)

Well I'm happy to open it up to the floor. My suggestion is that we use pymedia and submit patches to add libsoundtouch support to that. pymedia offers a whole bunch of audio and video decoders, and as far as I can tell it will be an easy route to CD+G -> MPEG conversion as well. I've mailed the author to gauge his feelings about incorporating libsoundtouch support within pymedia but no response yet.

Kelvin.