On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 02:29:11PM -0700, William Ferrell wrote:
>    Doesn't  the  "Linux Standard Base" (or whatever the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> it's called)
>    provide  some  standard  for where apps go? PyKaraoke and cdgtools are
>    small enough that they can reasonably just live in /usr/bin.

That's what it's called, and yes, it has answers to such questions.

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/

>    I'm actually keen to implement an internal MP3/OGG/WAV player
>    anyway; we need that to be able to do pitch shifting and time
>    munging, and then we get seeking (coding the CDG seeking part will
>    be fun ;).

Don't forget FLAC and MPEG (being able to rip CD-V's would be cool,
too, and, for that matter, the dedicated could rip LaserDiscs with a
capture card.

Is the proper approach here to locate the already-extant project which
is closest to what we need, and submit patches?

And, BTW, Will; could you check your mailer for an HTML knob, and flip
it off?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "Space is called 'space' because there's so much *space* there."
                - John Walker, of Fourmilab, on Trek's End