On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:21:12AM -0400, Dan wrote:
> This is all highly opinionated, but here are some of my suggestions.
>
> I think you should consider changing domain names.  I don't think the
> name Pylons is bad, just combined with the domain pylonshq.com it just
> doesn't stick.  I'd suggest using pylonsframework.org for the following
> reasons:
>
> .org - Eludes to an open source/non-profit.   If Pylons is open
> source/non-profit I think its a feature that you should mention to your
> visitors... I didn't see licensing information anywhere on the homepage?
>
> pylonsframework - Eludes to Pylons being a framework right in the
> domain.  I'd click on a URL for pylonsframework.org before pylonshq.com.

I second every single word of the above statement. pylonshq.com is
really a weird URL. IMHO "djangoproject.com" suffers from similar
problems like "pylonshq.com". They are .com(mercial) and they are a
project instead of a creator of some software. Everything with "project"
sounds like new-age jargon for a music band.

pylonsproject.org is it. Or maybe pylons-framework.org.

> In general, the things that brought me to Pylons was the 1) speed and
> libraries of Python and 2) MVC development.  Both are not even mentioned
> on  the homepage.  It should be in the first paragraph.  WSGI seems
> important, even if I didn't know why, but not a reason I'd choose Pylons
> over another framework.

It has taken a while until I understood the meaning of it. And many web
developer will hardly care about WSGI. Writting middleware is not a job
for a coffee break unless it's your daily business.

> Its not something that I would say in the first
> paragraph.   I'd say that most people care about two things: speed (both
> development time and application performance) and stability.  These two
> key points should be the focus of the introduction, to grab the visitors
> attention.

Hmmm, speed and stability. I'd rather outline fun and
production-savvyness. "paster shell" is fun. "--reload" is fun. The
online debugger is fun. And its community - small but great.

> I do think Pylons is flexible, which can be a feature, but
> it can also be a hindrance... especially for newbies.  Thats tricky.

It's very likely not a feature for newbies. I was scared by it. And
while I write some more documentation on Pylons I'm increasingly scared
the more I see. Well, soon I'll be a guru perhaps and Ben et al will
come out with a new version that makes my knowledge deprecated.

> I hate to mention the word, but 'screencasts' is almost a standard.  It
> wouldn't hurt if someone could put one together.

On the Python wiki there are >30 different web frameworks. Even if
someone decides that among the 5 frameworks is Pylons then the web site
needs to give a lot of information in very little time highlighting the
fun features. A screencast would be great (30 minutes are far too much -
perhaps 5-10 minutes). I'd even do it myself but I'm unsure whether my
spoken english will probably rather drive people away. :)

 Christoph