In the graphic design business, logos are known as "business
identities". They are pretty important, companies spend a fortune on
them and there are a whole bunch of different methodologies used to
get a 'good' identity. That being said, it really is more of an art
and it would be difficult to get a group of designers to agree on the
best approach to logo discovery.

This video of Paula Scher may be illuminating
http://www.hillmancurtis.com/hc_web/film_video/source/scher.php

If your designer doesn't give you a pad-talk like Paula, you're
getting short changed. <joke />

For the logos that I've helped create, I focused on the way it was
intended to be used. In business communication, you want the logo to
be recognizable despite being presented in different ways. For
example, on a fax, the logo should be recognizable, so it should be
created using a lot of positive and negative space with few gradients
because gradients look like crap on faxes. This requirement will limit
the number of colours the designer can use and in my experience, the
fewer colours the better. If you will never be faxed, this will be
less important.

You generally want the logo to be able to drop to 16x16 or 32x32
pixels and still be recognizable if it is to be used on software. Once
again too much detail and you will run into problems. A fist with two
pylons and lines will shrink to a grey blob. There is a designer trick
where you can use a subset of your logo for the favicon, but the
portion needs to be pretty strong. For example, if your logo is a
green tree with one red leaf then you can put the one red leaf in the
favicon and visitors will 'get it' that your brand is the one red
leaf. You don't have to show the tree. You need a clever designer to
do this; the $150 per logo guys will not give you this kind of work.

The problem your designer will run into is the fact the electrical
pylons are not the most exciting thing in the world and you'll want
something exciting. They're not conventionally beautiful; sonnets are
not written about pylons. Pylons are quite mundane, they look
different in different countries, they buzz if you get too close to
them and visually they are painfully reticulated.

All this and it's got to look good enough to go on a shirt and have
someone cough up money for it.

This blog has some good before after images of logos from major
companies.

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/

I'd stay away from swooshes - done to death.