Thanks for the answers and clarifications... more below.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Feel free to link to it on the other page, or to paste the whole thing into
> that page.

Will-do. And I'll fix the error you pointed out, change the thanks
attribution, etc.

> Pylons site. Besides that, I've had extensive discussions with a few
> others on how we might streamline the install process for GAE, which
> has not been written down.  I can share that with anybody who wants to
> take over maintenance of appengine-homedir and the Pylons/AppEngine
> subproject.

I'm not sure I'm up to that task (I use Pylons a lot, but kindof "tune-out"
the parts about PasteDeply/Script, SetupTools, etc. I don't really
understand them, so I'm not sure I could tweak an effective installer, but
I'll look into appengine-homedir and see if I can grok it).

>  The egg-info directory contains package metadata.  These are necessary
> because Paste uses various runtime services provided by Setuptools,
> which depend on the metadata for package introspection and entry
> points.

Yes, I understand, but does GAE use Paste? I think my ignorance has bled
over... I don't really get setuptools, but I also don't get how GAE is
different. Or the same.

This leads to two questions:
1. Can we simply delete that stuff ? It would make it harder to manage the
app going forward.
2. Can we keep it for local management with pip et al, but NOT send it to
GAE when we update? IE, does GAE use entry points?

The metadata has to go somewhere, and there are two standard locations
> for it in Python.  easy_install does it one way, and pip does it the

I guess that's the question: does it actually have to go somewhere? If I do
"import simplejson" I don't need the egg-info, of course. Does Pylons use
entrypoints a lot internally, or simple good-ole imports?

> I wish Paste did not depend on Setuptools and entry points, but it
> does, and we're not going to get away from that until we write another
> framework.  (Which the Pype framework might be someday.)

Yes, I keep hearing about this Pype. It's starting to sound mythical and
religious. I look forward to it solving all of our problems! ;-) Are you
guys discussing these ideas somewhere, or just amongst yourselves at this
point? I'd be interested to read the discourse so far.

Thanks, Mike!