On 03/20/2012 11:35 AM, Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:
> In addition to Thomas' answer... What is _wrong_ about the TER
> statement? Your chain is broken, indicated by the nonconsecutive
> numbers. That means you have two distinct molecules, and they are
> separated by a TER statement. Doesn't seem wrong. Yeah, they might be
> the same chain, but having a broken chain without considering them as
> separate molecules seems more wrong to me.

depends on circumstances. Many algorithms (like alignment/superposition)
work fine even with gapped chains. There are some applications which
stop reading a PDB file on the first TER record, like TMalign. So when
preparing input for TMalign with PyMOL, you most likely want to skip any
TER records.

Thomas Holder
MPI for Developmental Biology
Spemannstr. 35