I think you got your answers from the AMBER and GROMACS mailing list :)

Just a comment about PRODRG server, it is not the best choice for geometry
optimization and charge calculation.

Lemkul, J.A., Allen, W.J., and Bevan, D.R. (2010) Practical Considerations
for Building GROMOS-Compatible Small Molecule Topologies. *J. Chem. Inf.
Model.* *50* (12): 2221-2235.

To our experience in the group it tends to define the "charge groups"
inaccurately and produce optimized geometries that have out of plane
hydrogens. There is a new online service for creating GROMOS compatible
topologies for organic compounds:

http://compbio.biosci.uq.edu.au/atb/

It uses a knowledge-based approach and higher level QM calculations for
geometry optimization and charge derivation. Yet the GROMOS ffs are united
atom thus you lose in resolution.

If I had to chose an all-atom ff I would go for the AMBER99SB-ILDN for the
protein and GAFF for the organic compound (your chromophore). Unless you
have problems with the size of the organic molecule, you could optimize its
geometry and calculate RESP charges using the R.E.D. server:

http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS/

Also check out the option "Use RED IV for automatically generating amino
acid fragments " since your chromophore is covalently bonded to the protein
(I never used it so I am not sure if this will do your job).

Thomas