On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 5:05 AM Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

> On 9/10/19 11:06 AM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, at 15:54, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> >> Maybe I'm not involved enough in the release process, but this seems
> >> confusing to me.  On the same day that the PSF put up a page about the
> >> 1/1/2020 date, we choose April 2020 as the last release?  Why?  I
> >> thought the point was to save core devs efforts.  Is this an unofficial
> >> grace period?  Will there be a public document that announces the April
> >> date?
> > This mail is a public document.
> >
> > The thinking is that ±2 months is rounding error in Python 2's lifetime, so
> > why not move it to a significant community time? (There was never going to
> > be a release exactly on January 1 simply because it's an inconvenient time
> > of the year for "work".) I suppose practically it amounts to a small grace
> > period if core devs willing to merge 2.7 changes post 2020-01-01 can be
> > found.
>

> I'm not looking forward to answering questions from the public about why
> the PSF is writing dire and specific warnings like "We have decided that
> January 1, 2020, will be the day that we sunset Python 2," while the
> core devs are planning a release four months after that.  It won't help
> Python's credibility, and may convince some people that they don't have
> to take the date seriously..

It always takes some time to go through the phases of a release. If
the final release happened on Jan 1st, there wouldn't be time to get
patches in during the tail of 2019. Python 2's sunset does indeed
happen as 2020 starts, but before night completely falls, there are
some final actions to be taken in order to produce one good, clean,
final release.

Plus the whole "let's align it with something else that's happening"
thing, but that doesn't sound half as grand :)

ChrisA