On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 10:03 PM Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

> I'm not looking forward to answering questions from the public about why
> the PSF is writing dire and specific warnings like "We have decided that
> January 1, 2020, will be the day that we sunset Python 2," while the
> core devs are planning a release four months after that.  It won't help
> Python's credibility, and may convince some people that they don't have
> to take the date seriously..

To me it seems pretty clear: On Jan 1st 2020, the 2.7.x branch will no
longer receive fixes for any *new* bugs or security issues, nor other
improvements. I would expect that be the time of the code freeze for
the first release candidate, not the time of the final release. While
we will still fix issues *introduced in 2.7.18 since 2.7.17* before
the final 2.7.18 release, we won't address any other bugs or security
issues and won't backport anything *new* from 3.x. (I may have some
details not exactly correct here, but I hope the gist is correct.)

I'm sure the wording could be improved, but generally this seems
entirely reasonable to me.

- Tal Einat