On 9/18/2019 1:45 PM, Chris Barker via Python-Dev wrote:

I'm just echoing (and agreeing with) Peter here -- there is a specific date in the PEP (January 1 2020), and that has been adopted by pythonclock and others, so it would be good to be clear what EXACTLY "support stops" means.

In terms of implementation, I don't think all details are decided yet, so that 'EXACTLY' does not yet exist, and may not until after the fact. But I already said what it means for users. If you want a change, ask for it now. Even late December may be too late.

For coredevs, I believe it means that routine patching stops and we should act as if the 2.7 branch were in the release candidate stage, where patches go through the release manager.

To put is another way, support is already tapering off. And most of us who have not already washed out hands of 2.7 will on Jan 1.

And I misspoke, it would be "date on when the last patch would potentially be considered" And if that's not the case, then why have a date other than the date of the last release ??

I think you are missing the distinction between routine patches, which any committer can make, and which should stop about Jan 1, and release candidate patches, more or less restricted to the release manager. I expect his last patch will be just before release, follows by closing 2.7 just after. But I don't care about the details and neither should most anyone else.

--
Terry Jan Reedy