Hi. I've joined python-dev to participate in this thread (I don't have email delivery turned on; I'll be checking back via the web).

Benjamin, I am sorry that I didn't check in with you, and assumed that January 1, 2020 would be the the date of the final 2.7 point release. (My understanding was based on Guido's EOL announcement from March last year https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2018-March/152348.html -- I should have also gotten a review from you and not just the Steering Council in https://github.com/python/steering-council/issues/14 .) I'm going to continue this discussion here so I can make sure I understand the policy decision properly, and then (if necessary) update the FAQ.

Based on what I've read here and what I see in https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#maintenance-releases , it sounds like the timeline will go something like:

* 2019-10-19: release of 2.7.17 October
* October, November, and December 2019: developers continue to fix issues in 2.7
* 2020-01-01: code freeze for 2.7.18 release candidate
* January and February 2020: flexibility to fix any issues introduced since the 2.7.17 release, but no other bugs or security issues, and no 3.x backports
* ~2020-04-02: release candidate for 2.7.18
* 2020-04-17: final 2.7.18 release

Is this right? (If so, I can submit an update to PEP 373.)

This is a little more complicated than I had anticipated when communicating out about the sunsetting. But I can find a way either to concisely communicate this, or to point to a user-friendly explanation elsewhere.

Thanks.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Changeset Consulting