On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 8:17 AM Baptiste Carvello <
devel2...@baptiste-carvello.net> wrote:

> Le 02/12/2022 à 10:09, Gregory P. Smith a écrit :
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 8:37 AM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org
> > <mailto:vstin...@python.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     Should we *close* the python-dev mailing list?
> >

> > I'd be in favor of this.
>
> Why?

Because in the past people have complained about having too many places to
keep track of discussions (and this goes in both directions; some people
don't read email regularly while others live in their inbox). Since we are
promoting/pushing folks to use discuss.python.org it means this mailing
list starts to feel like more of a burden/excess.

-Brett

> Californian firms won't let their employees use an unmoderated
> forum for fear of liability: OK, so be it. But that's no reason to force
> other people to use tools they dislike.

We are just saying that we may, as a team, not want to be the people
providing a mailing list for folks to use to discuss Python development. Or
at the very least not make it feel like a requirement for core devs to
monitor this mailing list like it has been in the past. If people choose to
keep using email then they can choose to do so on their own, just like IRC
or any other place people chat.

-Brett