Perspective from a minor Python contributor:

The only thing worse than email or Discourse is email AND Discourse.
Fragmented communities are a nightmare. I don't want to post to multiple
places in order to reach the devs. Its hard enough to build consensus
already. The relative strengths of email vs discourse pale in comparison to
the dangers of fragmentation IMO.

I prefer mailing lists personally, but theyve been losing out to web forums
for 20 years now. In my view, switching solely to Discourse would help
ensure the vitality of the Python community for years to come.

Barney