On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 23:10, Alessandro Pasotti <apaso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 2:03 PM Tim Sutton <t...@kartoza.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Oh but that little X is for the news item itself. It means ‘I’ve read this,
>> don’t show it to me again’ if I understand Alessandro’s design intent
>> correctly….
>

> I don't know: it's not my design :) I did the server part only.

Sorry, delayed response here.

Yes, Tim is correct -- the X dismisses individual news items only.
Then intention here is that users can dismiss items as they read them,
or leave them to later to read. If a news item expires (it has an
expiry date set on the server side) it will automatically self-dismiss
after this time (e.g. no point in leaving an entry for an event which
has occurred, even if the user hasn't dismissed this item themselves).

The panel will **only** show if there's something to show. Otherwise,
the project templates panel gets the space. I don't see value in
showing an empty section, and:

1. showing an empty news feed section will make us appear a
"ghost"/"dying" project
2. showing the panel only when there's news means that users get a
immediate "oh something is different here" moment on launching qgis,
and are more likely to read the news item (vs a panel which is always
shown, usually empty, and which sometimes has content) (that's my gut
feeling at least, I'm not a UX expert!)

Nyall