I support Wolfgang in making very clear what is to be achieved before
designing the specification.

There seem to be three problems to my mind.

1. The problem of a program finding its own information such as
configuration and help files.
2. The problem of a program knowing where to write the data.
3. The problem of deep directory trees being limited by the QL file name
length.

Any solution to my mind must be
1. Be compatable with existing QLs
2. Be the same for all devices.
3. As far as possible be as similar as possible to existing QL usage.

Problems 1 & 2  would seem to be solved by Configuration blocks
    I suggested as an alternative passing parameters -p & -d  for program
data directories.
    George Gwilt already uses the second solution in some of his programs.
    Hence the suggestion to adapt present programs where possile ot include
both.

    The other standard method is paths for which there is already an
extension which I ought to investigate and probably use.

For directory changing prog_use, data_use, dup & ddown are the standard QL
comands.
They are to mind adequate if QL specific and hence I see no reason to change
them.
DATAD$ is equivalent home directory anyway.

So the real problem is 3 deep directory structures.
As I understand it the present directory system hides files with names
containing the file name of the directory when using the command dir or
wstat. mkdir makes a directory file.

So if the system is to be compatable it has to respond the same on 'old'
QLs.
Hence the suggestion of adapting the present system.
Perhaps the present directory name could be replaced by a two bytes so that
win1_sys_bin_net_peek becomes win1_ac_bc_net_peek. Directory file win1_sys_
appears as win1_ab_ on an old QL and directory file win1_sys_bin_ appears as
win1_ab_bc_ Or less transparently but enabling deeper directories win1_bc_
represents win1_sys_bin_.

By this means near backward compatability could be maintained.

Does this cover all the problems and can it be improved on?