In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wolfgang Lenerz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

<clip>

Can we more or less agree on the following:

---------------
It will be set up as a "thing" (since I don't think we have found any other
satisfactory solution for compiled Basic).
For each job, the thing should contain:
the complete filename
the dir whence it came from (home dir)
the current dir which will initially be the home dir

facilities should exist to
set the complete filename. This will also set the home dir and current
dir.
get the filename, home dir and current dir.
set the current dir (either directly or by ddup, ddown?)
get the length of the file/dir names (this would only be of interest
if *somebody* actually gets around to implementing some form of
long file names).
set a default filename for a job with a certain name

You are very good at drawing out the essentials of the discussion.

You may now get more comments from a wider range of users if you or others can give some practical examples of the disadvantages of the present method, and the advantages of the improved method.

--
Malcolm Cadman