In theory the Windows Remote Assistance should work.

However, it is not any good for anyone who is using a router at home as to
get it to work they have to configure it to allow specific inbound ports - a
task beyond the sort of people who you are probably trying to help.
Ah, exactly the kind of "snag" information I was hoping someone would suggest. We have a wireless router here, so presumably I'd have to go through this with anyone trying to "remote assist" me?

You might want to look instead at the LogMeIn product as this does lot
require that kind of special network setup. This is the latest incarnation
of what many years ago was called "PC Anywhere" for those with long
memories.  The version of LogMeIn with basic remote control is free for
private use. I have used it successfully with a number of friends who want
remote support.   It is easy enough to talk a user through downloading and
activating their end as it is basically a case of following on-screen
prompts.
Thanks.