In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Hi,

From Dilwyn's description is does not seem that Log-Me-In is that easy to use.

I would think, also, that his reference to the Anti-Virus will be allowing to pass through a Firewall.

Dilwyn,

The remote control facility is always available.   For the first month they
let you try out the items that are in the version you pay for as well such
as remote printing, file transfer etc.

I can tell you from experience that LogMeIn is less trouble than any of the
other options.   Not sure why your Anti-Virus should have been getting
involved.   I have used LogMeIn successfully with those who knew nothing
about computers, and who were unable to get the Windows Remote Assistance to
work.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dilwyn Jones
Sent: 22 October 2008 19:50
To: QL-Users list
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Remote Assistance

I would agree. I use LogMeIn regularly and it is very simple to set up.

On 22/10/2008 17:02, Dave Walker wrote:
You might want to look instead at the LogMeIn product as this does lot
require that kind of special network setup.  This is the latest
incarnation
of what many years ago was called "PC Anywhere" for those with long
memories.  The version of LogMeIn with basic remote control is free for
private use.   I have used it successfully with a number of friends who
want
remote support.   It is easy enough to talk a user through downloading
and
activating their end as it is basically a case of following on-screen
prompts.
OK, I downloaded it and installed it. Not straightforward - all sorts of
things went wrong, including my anti-virus taking a strong interest in
preventing it doing what it was trying to, which may have been the cause of
all the things which went wrong.

If I understand properly, it works as a full version for a month then
reverts
to a "receive-only" mode, which (maybe I misunderstood) isn't what I wanted.
Either way, it was extremely unclear what was happening half the time.

For family members, I should be able to get to their routers to set the
relevant access details and use standard remote assistance for that.

I'll give this a try, as it seems a logically simple solution (trying to
offer computer assistance by definition it has to be simpler to use than the

problem it's meant to solve) but I usually end up throwing away this kind of
software after early problems like this, on the basis that if they can't be
bothered to make it a trouble free installation, the rest of the program
won't be up to much. It might be easy for a software pro to use, but first
impressions are very poor and I certainly would not like to talk anyone
through this installation after all the things which went wrong here.

--
Malcolm Cadman