Hi John,

John <j...@sinoda.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I followed your instructions and overclocked the device to 950 MHz
>(Turbo caused a black screen but did not seem to damage the file
>system).

It is a corruption that appears intermittently on some Rpis, but not all, when
running at 1000 speed. As you got the black screen, you never managed to run at
1000, so you are safe.

>This changed the boot up time to 4.5 minutes from just over 6 minutes.

I make that 25% faster. A bonus!

>Sadly it is still at 100& CPU all the time.
Yes, Java can have this effect even on high end computers. The RPi is very much
low spec.

Another change you can do, is "sudo raspi-config" and see what memory split you
are using. Giving too much to the GPU can slow down normal "less graphical"
processing.

I have mine at 32Mb for the GPU and the rest for the CPU. But I am not sure of
the best settings for this emulator.

>If I run another graphical java app such as gnubridge it uses 100% CPU
>for about five seconds as it draws to the screen but then the CPU
>percentage falls to almost nothing.

I wonder if the emulator is doing an awful lot of "thinking" in the background?
After all, QDOS was flashing cursors, running interrupt code, flushing slave
blocks etc.

Equally, I bet there is a huge amount of work being done under the covers by
the emulated MC680xx processor.

Cheers,
Norm.